BP2: HHHHHAAAAIIIIIITTTTTTIIIII !!!!!!



Image result for haitian flag


Day 2:

Haiti... My second choice during the island adoption process, known officially as the “Republic of Haiti” and formerly called “Hayti”.I am somewhat nervous about researching this island because of the photos I see, most are not your typical “tropical” island photos. I noticed a ton of poverty, disaster and people struggling to survive. Reminds me of a destitute environment stricken with stress vs. an island- better yet a place of paradise. I choose the name in class and there was no fight to put up with other students, my peer gladly gave it up without hesitation. I googled the island and these are the buzz words from my online search.

 



"Hurricane", Voodoo, Labadee, Carnival, Jacmel then there goes "Beach" then "Beautiful".

Wow, what a way to start off my discovery.

Here's a history lesson on Haiti......Haiti is a country located on the island of Hispaniola, east of Cuba in the Greater Antilles of the Caribbean Sea. It occupies the western three-eighths of the island, which it shares with the Dominican Republic. Haiti is 27,750 square kilometers or you can say 10,714 sq. miles. There is an estimated 10.8 million people living on the island. This constitutes it as being the most overcrowded country in the Caribbean. Not surprised to find that out when I saw these photos.
Image result for haitiImage result for haiti
I found that the island was originally occupied by the native “Taíno” settlers.  Thereafter, it was recorded that Spain landed on the island on December 05, 1492. It was shared that throughout the first voyage of Christopher Columbus across the Atlantic. When Columbus originally landed in Haiti, he thought that he had found India or China. Of course, he thought that he hit a gold mind being the current wealth of those 2 countries.
Just Days after, on Christmas Day in 1492, Columbus's flagship the Santa Maria ran north of what is now Limonade”. As a consequence, Columbus ordered his men to recover what they could from the ship then Columbus established the first European settlement in the Americas, naming it La Navidad after the day the ship was destroyed.

The island was named La Española” and claimed by Spain, which reigned until the early 17th century. Opposing rights by the French steered to the western portion of the island being yielded to France, which named it Saint-Domingue”.  The currency was then established by colonists who implemented the production of Sugarcane plantations which were worked by slaves brought from Africa, not surprising!
Image result for haiti slavesImage result for haiti slaves
In the midst of the French Revolution (1789–99), slaves and free people of color revolted in the Haitian Revolution  during 1791–1804, culminating in the abolition of slavery and the overthrow of Napoleon Bonaparte's army at the Battle of Vertières. Afterward the sovereign state of Haiti was established on January 01, 1804.
 
Happy New Year to the Haitian people!!Image result for haiti new yearBP2 continued.........



Image result for traveling to haiti
On my Way to Haiti.....
 Travel to Haiti....



According to the the US Department of State, "Travel to Haiti should be reconsidered due to crime and civil unrest". Wooh, not a good sign. Including the "Level 3-Yellow "beware" code that it mentions. (I should reconsider my island of adoption before it is too late in the semester-inner thoughts. 😩) I anticipated that this would be the same due to the fight that I did not have to put up in class, as previously mentioned.
Image result for travel to  haiti


Here we go, packing my bags, 
"What will I wear?" Cool clothes of course, my tanks, shorts, flip flops, nothing too fancy-so I don't get robbed or mistaken for an American millionaire. The weather tends to be around 70°-80° degrees on average-a cool drop may peek 60°degrees however I am sure I will be comfortable.

Image result for what to pack when visiting haiti
 Next, I will need a passport- the requirements for US Citizens is that I have a valid passport. Funny, how just a few miles over in the Dominican Republic a Visa is required. In my case, were going to Haiti. Lucky me!😅  
"His Excellency Paul G. Altido" ,  Ambassador encourages people to rediscover Haiti. I think, I will follow his lead. 
Image result for His Excellency Paul G. Altido


Image result for cruise to haiti How will I get there? I am afraid to fly so this will be interesting, the goal would be to travel as far south as I can in my car so I plan to drive to Miami even the Florida Keys. From there, a boat trip-cruise preferred to Haiti. 

Carnival's new port competes with Royal Caribbean, which was the first cruise line to establish an Haitian beachhead in it's popular route. Royal Caribbean allows it's passengers to spend a day on a private beach owned by the cruise line. I think this will be my choice due to the amount of crime and warning signs advised by the government agencies and prominent travel sites.


The cruise will cost me $400 for a 3-5 day cruise. Travel to Florida another $150.00 with food and souvenirs, I estimate around $750.00 ( I can not wait to eat the food)😍
Image result for haitian foodImage result for haitian foodImage result for haitian foodImage result for haiti food

 
I plan to visit the local shops to purchase spices and authentic clothing made on the island with using my American Dollars. I plan to visit the waterfalls on Bassin Bleu & stop by the world famous museum of Museum Ogier-Fombrun next I would swing over on a guided tour to visit the city of Port Au Prince. If I had to stay that one night before I ship left, I would stay in the safe keeping's of the staff at the Best Western or Mariott-Port Au Prince or Moulin Sur Mer, check this photo out....
 

Image result for Moulin Sur Mer


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post # 6 Module 2 Assessment

Lesson 3: Lesson 3 Writing Activity for “Tétiyette and the Devil”